vendredi 5 octobre 2007

Whoop-de-doo

I just bought a new English-German dictionary and it has the word "whoop-de-doo" in it. I don't know why I bother. I buy a new dictionary every fifteen years or so to keep up with linguistic developments and this is the kind of nonsense that leaps from the page (it's a page index header to boot). Who is it that determines what shit-de-bum is to be included in dictionaries anyway? I'm sure they must be moonlighting from the world of advertising.

3 commentaires:

Donna a dit…

so, what is the german for whoop-de-doo, anyway?

Ian a dit…

I knew somebody would ask that. Surely more germane (ha!ha!) would be "what's the English for whoop-de-doo"? Unfortunately the answer is not "wuppen-die-duppen" but "ausgelassene Fröhlichkeit", in other words that relaxed feeling of content when you've just had a really good poo.

Sophie a dit…

Blimey, you learn stuff reading this blog!