vendredi 31 août 2007

Let's call him Nelson

Took a day out to that-there-London and as chance would have it stepped out of Waterloo station half an hour before a statue of Nelson Mandela was due to be unveiled just across the bridge in Parliament Square, in the great man's presence. What the hell, it wasn't on the programme but I stuck around to point my phone at the distant shrouded bronze. Don't know why, just seemed like the thing to do, everyone else was doing it.
Got bored before he denuded his likeness with a flick of his arthritic wrist and I made off across the green to do Planned Stuff, but found myself humming "Free Goody's umbrella" to the tune of "Free eponymous" as I went. It doesn't seem like two minutes since we were having a ruckus with Locals in Rammy culminating in arrests for some, flight for others (there I go, winged heels!) and the loss of the famous Brolly. Ah tempus fugit! Wist, wist!

2 commentaires:

Ian a dit…

Friend Andy has just told me it was twenty-two years ago, in the run up to Live Aid, that these events took place. So much can be done in twenty-two years: you can transform a country's political structure, become its president and retire to become one of the world's most Esteemed individuals. Or else you can grow a beer gut.

Donna a dit…

Guess which option I chose :( Think the clue is in the XXL clothing...